Shaykh Sari al-Saqati

by 09:11 0 komentar
Shaykh Sari al-Saqati: (d.253H/867CE) 'alayhi al-rahmah wa'l-ridwan

One of the friends and companions of BISHR AL-HAFI Radi Allahu anhu, Sari al-Saqati was one of those who bore affection for the creatures of God and of those who preferred others above themselves.

In his book Wafayat al-'a'yan, Ibn Khallikan writes that Sari once said, "It is thirty years that I have been seeking forgiveness for one phrase, Praise be Allah's, that I allowed to pass my lips." When asked to explain he replied, "One night the bazaar caught fire, and I left my house to see if the fire had reached my shop. When I heard that my shop was safe, I said, 'Praise be Allah's'. Instantly I was brought to my senses with the realization that, granted my shop was unharmed, should I not have been thinking about others'?"

Sa'di is referring to this same story (with slight variations) where he says:

One night someone's chimney kindled a fire, And I heard that half of Baghdad had burnt down. One said, thank God that in the smoke and ashes, My shop has not been damaged. A man who had seen the world replied, O selfish man, Was your grief for yourself and no other? Would you be satisfied that a town should burn down by fire, If your own dwelling were left unscathed?

Shaykh Sari as-Saqati was the pupil and disciple (murid) of MAROOF AL-KARKHI, and the teacher and maternal uncle of JUNAYD OF BAGHDAD. Sari has many sayings on mystical unity (tawhid), love of God and other matters. It was also he who said: "Like the sun, the 'arif shines on all the world; like the earth, he bears the good and evil of all; like water, he is the source of life for every heart; and like fire he gives his warmth to all and sundry." Shaykh Sari as-Saqati died in [d.253H/867CE] at the age of ninety-eight.

Shaykh Sari as-Saqati Radi Allahu anhu also states:

"Tassawuf is the name of three qualities:
  1. His 'Nur of Marifah' (Knowledge of Allah) must not extinguish his 'Nur of Wara' (Piety).
  2. Never speak from the knowledge of Batin (Interior) that may contradict the Zahir (Exterior) -Qur'an al kareem and Hadith.
  3. Do not let Karaamats (Miracles) caste a veil on those things which Allah has made Haraam."

Unknown

Developer

Body is purified by water. Ego by tears. Intellect is purified by knowledge. And soul is purified with love. Ali ibn Abi Talib.

0 komentar:

Post a Comment